Podcast: Press Conference on Joint Complaint to Office of Human Research Protections
Yesterday, on Wednesday, June 9, PHR and seven partner organizations held a press conference to announce our joint filing of a complaint to the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) at the Department of Health and Human Services. We requested that OHRP investigate alleged CIA human experimentation on detainees.
PHR CEO Frank Donaghue opened the briefing:
Today Physicians for Human Rights is joined by colleagues from seven leading health, human rights, religious and legal groups to demand federal investigation of alleged human experimentation on detainees.
Representatives are on the call from Amnesty International, the Bill of Rights Defense Committee, Center for Constitutional Rights, Center for Victims of Torture, Human Rights Watch, the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, and Psychologists for Social Responsibility.
Thank you to each of you for standing with Physicians for Human Rights at this critical juncture in the fight for accountability for torture.
These groups represent hundreds of thousands of Americans who want accountability for torture committed by the United States since September 11th, 2001, and want to ensure that these abuses never happen again.
The complaint being filed this morning with the Office of Human Research Protection at the Department of Health and Human Services, known as OHRP, is an important response to one specific and chilling aspect of the Bush administration’s program of torture: Evidence of human research and experimentation on detainees.
The other speakers were:
- Nathaniel Raymond, Director of Campaign Against Torture, PHR
- Stephen Soldz, President-elect of Psychologists for Social Responsibility
- Steven H. Miles, MD, Board member, Center for Victims of Torture
- Gitanjali S. Gutierrez, Staff Attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights
- Tom Parker, Policy Director, Terrorism, Counterterrorism and Human Rights at Amnesty International
- Rev. Richard L. Killmer, Executive Director of the National Religious Campaign Against Torture
- Shahid Buttar, Executive Director of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee
Andrea Prasow, Senior Counterterrorism Counsel, Human Rights Watch
You can hear their remarks and answers to questions form the press in the podcast, below.